It can be a little tricky to shop for a garage door opener.
There are so many different types out there, all seemingly offering the same features and function, but when you look closely you will discover that they are not all the same. Some models stand out above all the others and an example is the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series.
Coming from the family of the LiftMaster Elite Series, this wall-mount garage door opener is a superstar in quality and function. Look no further because the best is here for you.
Benefits to You When Using This Product
What do you look for when you buy something? When you make a list of things to buy, what ultimately guides you when making a decision? When you buy the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series you will find that it is a system that aims to satisfy all your needs in terms of:
- If you are in search of an automatic reasonable-priced garage opener, the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series garage opener can prove to be your ideal choice.
- It is more durable and long-lasting as compared to other brand wall mount garage openers available in the market.
- It provides you enhanced security even if you are not at home in an effective manner.
- It is a weather-resistant wall-mount garage door opener that will not cause any type of damage from water or in extreme weather conditions.
- You will not have to get out of your car to open or close your garage door if you have installed this 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series garage door opener, because it has an automatic remote system that allows you to open and close your garage door by sitting inside your car with a remote effortlessly.
Great Features of 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series
When you shop for anything, you have for yourself certain criteria, and this governs your decision. When you are shopping for a garage door opener, you have a few things in mind, so hopefully, the list of features below will be more than enough to convince you to choose the product:
- 24V DC motor performance: It is very powerful and efficient, operating at 24V and because of this you get a mechanism that operates smoothly and at varying speeds.
- Ultra-quiet mechanism: Despite its strength, this mechanism can be expected to be quiet and discreet. Proving well that strength and power do not have to be loud, this LiftMaster model is an ideal installation for homes because it does not make a scene that will disturb inhabitants of the house and adjacent neighbors.
- Auto-force: This unique feature helps you monitor the garage door system at all times. With this setup, you can have the doors adjust to temperatures, track movements, and floor heights.
- Smart Garage Door Opener: The addition of this feature is also something worth noting. With it, you can put security codes onto the control panel and this function lets you program settings specific to your liking.
- Protector System: This system is a safety sensor that permits the projection of an invisible light beam along the garage door opening so that it can automatically reverse the movement of the door if something interrupts the beam. In other words, if a person is about to get stuck, the sensors will activate and lift the doors.
Pros and Cons of 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series
8500 LiftMaster Elite Series stands as one of the paramount choices for homeowners when they ponder garage door openers. With the sea of options available, pinpointing the optimal garage door opener can be as challenging as finding a needle in a haystack. To simplify this task, let’s dive deep into the pros and cons of the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series.
1. Space-Saving Design
One of the most distinctive advantages of the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series is its wall-mounted design. Unlike traditional ceiling-hung garage door openers, this series allows for significant overhead space clearance. Perfect for those looking to maximize their garage space or have limited ceiling room.
2. Security Features
With security becoming paramount, this opener shines in this domain. The Security+ 2.0™ rolling code technology ensures that every single time you click the remote, a brand-new code gets sent, making it nearly impossible for potential intruders to hack.
3. Quiet Operation
Dread the teeth-clenching noise of garage doors opening? The 8500 LiftMaster promises a smooth, virtually silent operation. It achieves this serenity by employing a powerful DC motor combined with a soft start and stop mechanism.
4. Battery Backup
Power outages are often unforeseen and can be a real bother. The 8500 LiftMaster incorporates a battery backup, allowing homeowners to access their garage even during those unexpected blackouts.
5. Advanced Technology Integration
Modern-day users cherish connectivity. With the MyQ® Technology, homeowners can monitor and control their garage door from anywhere using their smartphone. A leap into the future of home automation.
1. Price Point
High quality often comes with a hefty price tag. The 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series is no exception. It’s positioned at a premium range which might not be accessible for everyone’s budget.
2. Compatibility Issues
This specific model might not be compatible with all garage doors, especially older versions or those with a particular design. A careful review of your garage door specifications is crucial before making a purchase.
3. Complexity in Installation
Though the 8500 LiftMaster offers a plethora of features, it isn’t the easiest to install. Those who aren’t particularly handy might find themselves requiring professional help, which can be an added expense.
4. Limited Manual Override
In circumstances where the battery backup fails, the manual override can be somewhat challenging. While it’s a rare occurrence, it’s something to be cognizant of, especially in emergencies.
5. Demand for Additional Accessories
To exploit the full spectrum of features, especially MyQ® Technology, users might need to purchase additional accessories. This isn’t always clear at the outset and can lead to unexpected extra costs.
The 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series undoubtedly stands tall with its avant-garde features, merging both utility and sophistication. While it comes with an array of benefits, potential users should be mindful of the associated drawbacks.
Every household has unique needs. Some might prioritize security and technology, while others might look for cost-effectiveness. Weighing the pros and cons discussed can be the first step in making an informed decision. After all, a garage door opener isn’t just about convenience, it’s about making our homes more secure and integrated in today’s digital age.
Customer Feedback on 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series: Voices from Real Users
Installed it on a Large Shop Door
Pleased with the 8500 LiftMaster. Set it up on my 16 x 10 ft shop door, though the installation needed a bit of tweaking given my metal shop. The swivel addition ensured alignment was spot on. Adjusting the travel limits took a bit of trial and error. But, on the bright side, the noise level is much lower than anticipated. Worth the investment.
Replaced Multiple Faulty Openers
This is the third 8500 LiftMaster I’ve gotten over five years. Switched from my old Wayne Dalton openers, which were giving me issues. These have been reliable and a good fit for replacement.
Impressive Opener, But Installation Needs Patience
The 8500 LiftMaster is undoubtedly top-notch in quality. However, users should be ready for some installation intricacies. The jackshaft rotation mechanism implies that the door moves down mainly due to its weight. If the door positioning isn’t perfect, it might not close smoothly. I faced a few hitches there. The 877MAX wireless keypad that I ordered alongside had some programming mismatches. Best advice? Stick to the opener’s manual over the keypad’s.
There was another tiny setback. The sensor wires are sealed, making it a bit challenging for those who, like me, had pre-wired setups and wanted a neat look. A workaround with wire bundling tubes did the trick for me.
Update (8/2017): Installed another 8500 LiftMaster. Setting up the limits was quite a task. Oddly, the door would halt prematurely during the adjustment phase. The solution? Used a wireless remote for finer control during setting. The wireless keypad setup was also a bit tricky. Found a different instruction set online which worked wonders. It’s an amazing opener overall, but the installation could be smoother.
How to Use the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series Properly: Step-by-Step Instructions
Before using the LiftMaster, ensure it’s correctly installed. For those who aren’t comfortable with manual tasks, hiring a professional for installation is recommended. If you’re installing it yourself, follow the manufacturer’s manual to the letter.
2. Powering Up
- Connect the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series to a reliable power source.
- Check for the green LED light, which indicates that the unit is receiving power.
3. Remote Control Setup
- Pairing: Press and release the ‘Learn’ button located on the opener. The LED light will turn on.
- Within 30 seconds, press the button on the remote you want to use. Hold it until the opener light blinks, confirming that it has learned the remote code.
- Test the remote by pressing the programmed button. The door should move.
4. Setting Travel Limits
- Press and hold the ‘Up’ (Black) button on the opener until the door reaches the desired open position.
- Press and hold the ‘Down’ (Yellow) button until the door reaches the desired closed position.
- Adjust these settings anytime if you want to change the open or closed positions.
5. MyQ® Technology Setup (for smartphone control)
- Download the MyQ® app on your smartphone.
- Register an account and log in.
- Follow in-app instructions to link your 8500 LiftMaster to the app. This allows you to monitor and control the door remotely.
6. Using the Wall Control
- Press the main button to open or close the door.
- The wall control might also have a ‘Lock’ feature, which disables all remotes, ensuring no one can access the garage without using the wall control or a keyed entry.
7. Safety Reversal Test
This ensures the door reverses if it encounters an obstruction.
- Place a 2×4 piece of wood flat on the ground in the door’s path.
- Operate the door to close. Once the door contacts the wood, it should reverse automatically.
- If it doesn’t, refer to the manual and adjust the force settings.
8. Battery Backup Usage
During power outages, the battery backup can be a lifesaver.
- If the power goes out and you use the door, you might hear a beep. This signals that the system is using battery power.
- When power returns, the battery will recharge automatically.
- Periodically check the door balance, safety reverse, and photo eyes for proper functioning.
- Ensure the unit remains free of dust and debris. A soft cloth will do for cleaning.
- Lubricate necessary parts as described in the manual to ensure smooth operation.
- If the 8500 LiftMaster isn’t operating as expected, refer to the troubleshooting section in the user manual. Common issues, like the door not closing fully or the remote not working, often have simple solutions.
Using the 8500 LiftMaster Elite Series can greatly enhance the convenience and security of your garage door operation. However, always prioritize safety. Ensure that the path of the garage door is clear when operating and regularly test safety features to make sure they’re functioning correctly.
Like every new thing you get your hands on, there will be a grace period you have to get used to, especially in the beginning. The instruction manuals are written to help guide you through the installation process and the whole user experience.
Some things you need to be very careful with are the measurements so that you perfectly match the door with the dimensions of the opener you will install; and the careful following of the installation instructions because a lot of things can go wrong at this point.
Your home is your sanctuary. As one it is meant to be a safe place not just for you, but for everyone in it. A garage is a protective structure that is built to provide an added barrier for your home. It keeps bad elements out so that the inside is made secure.
Some people, unfortunately, find it a great hassle to have a garage because it makes it more difficult for them to come in and out of the house, especially if there is no one inside. Thankfully, there are products like the LiftMaster 8500 which makes the whole idea of installing a garage so much more convenient and practical.