Having a clean shower door is essential for maintaining good hygiene and a pleasant atmosphere in your home. But how do you keep it clean? One of the most effective and easy-to-use tools for cleaning shower doors is a shower squeegee.
What is a shower squeegee?
A shower squeegee is a simple but highly effective tool for keeping your shower looking spotless. It is made up of a rubber blade on an ergonomically designed handle, which you use to wipe down the walls and floors of your shower after each use.
Its main benefit is that it removes water quickly and easily without leaving streaks or spots behind – making it ideal for all types of surfaces, including tile, glass, porcelain, and any other type of hard surface.
Plus, because it’s lightweight and compact, you can store it away conveniently when not in use.
Using a shower squeegee is the perfect way to clean your shower with minimal effort.
Not only does it take less time than scrubbing with traditional cleaning products and methods, but its long-lasting rubber blade also prevents the build-up of mildew or mold over time, so your bathroom stays fresher for longer.
Furthermore, because its handle features an ergonomic design with soft grip handles to prevent hand fatigue or slipping, you can enjoy comfortable cleaning every time.
Types of Squeegee
A squeegee is a tool for cleaning windows, showers, and floors. But did you know there are different types of squeegees for different purposes?
Below is a list of the different types of squeegee you can use for your bathroom:
Rubber squeegees are the most common type of squeegee and are often used for cleaning windows. The rubber blade is flexible and can conform to any surface, making removing water or cleaning solution from a surface easy.
However, rubber squeegees can only wear out quickly if properly maintained. The rubber blade can also leave streaks if it’s not wiped clean after each use.
A rubber squeegee typically lasts between 6-12 months.
Silicone squeegees are a newer type of squeegee that has recently gained popularity. They are often used for cleaning showers and are more durable than rubber squeegees.
The silicone blade is flexible and can conform to any surface, but it also has a longer lifespan than rubber squeegees.
A silicone squeegee can last up to 2 years with proper care. However, silicone squeegees are often more expensive than rubber squeegees.
Floor squeegees are used for cleaning floors and other flat surfaces. They have a large, wide blade that can quickly cover a lot of surface area.
Floor squeegees are typically made of rubber or foam and can be used on wet or dry surfaces. However, floor squeegees can be heavy and difficult to maneuver.
They are also unsuitable for cleaning windows or other surfaces requiring more precision. A floor squeegee can last several years.
Handheld squeegees are smaller squeegees often used to clean car windows or other small surfaces.
They are lightweight and easy to use, but they are not suitable for larger surfaces. Handheld squeegees are typically rubber or plastic and can be found at most hardware stores. A handheld squeegee can last up to 6 months with proper care.
However, they can wear out quickly if not properly maintained.
Related Post: 10 Genius Ways How to Clean Shower Doors Like a Pro
How To Pick the Right Shower Squeegee
When it comes to keeping your shower clean, a shower squeegee is essential. But with so many excellent options available, how do you know which one to choose?
Here are some tips to help you make the right pick:
1. Consider the type of shower door you have: If your shower door is made of glass, a plastic squeegee with a soft rubber blade is ideal; for tile or porcelain, choose an adjustable squeegee with a metal blade that’s designed to remove build-up.
2. Select a squeegee that’s the right size for your shower: You’ll want to ensure it fits comfortably in your hand and can easily reach all areas of your shower door.
3. Choose the blade material carefully: If you’re cleaning glass, look for a squeegee with a soft rubber blade; for tile or porcelain, pick an adjustable squeegee with a metal blade.
4. Consider the price: Squeegees are available at various prices, but selecting one that gives you all the features you need for efficient and effective cleaning is important.
5. Read the reviews: Look at what other people are saying about the squeegee before making your final decision.
6. Look for extra features: Shower squeegees are designed for more efficient and convenient cleaning of shower walls. The ergonomic handle is one of the extra features that makes them even better.
Shower squeegees come with a variety of handles, ranging from lightweight handles to stainless steel handles that are 6.4 or 6.5 inches long.
These handles provide a comfortable grip and contoured shape, making it easy to reach difficult spots in your shower when cleaning.
Additionally, many shower squeegee handles have a non-slip grip, allowing you to hold on to them quickly while wet.
These features make it possible to get an effective clean in your shower without straining yourself with a heavy scrubbing or reaching too far into hard-to-reach places.
Step-by-Step Guide on Using a Shower Squeegee
Once you’ve selected your shower squeegee, it’s time to start cleaning. Follow these simple steps for the best results:
Step 1: Choose the right shower squeegee for your needs
Before cleaning your shower, you must choose the right squeegee. Shower squeegees come in different shapes, sizes, and materials.
Some are made of plastic, while others are made of silicone or metal. Some have a handle, while others don’t. Choose a squeegee that fits your needs and preferences.
Step 2: Gather other necessary tools for cleaning
Aside from the shower squeegee, you’ll need other tools to clean your shower effectively. These include a cleaning solution or a mixture of water and vinegar, a bucket or a spray bottle, and a microfiber cloth or a sponge.
Step 3: Preparation before using a squeegee
Before using a squeegee, clear any items from the shower or bathtub. Make sure you remove any shampoo bottles, soap, or loofahs. Then, rinse the shower area with water.
Step 4: Start at the top of the shower and work your way down
Once you’ve prepared the shower area, it’s time to start using the squeegee. Hold the squeegee at a 45-degree angle and use long, smooth strokes to wipe the water from the bathroom walls.
Start at the top of the shower and work your way down.
Step 5: Wipe the blade after each pass
After each pass with the squeegee, wipe the blade with a microfiber cloth or a sponge. This will remove any excess water and prevent streaks.
Step 6: Clean the edges and corners of the shower
The edges and corners of the shower can be hard to reach with a squeegee. Use the squeegee blade or a smaller tool to reach tight spaces and remove excess water.
Step 7: Dry off the squeegee after use
After you’re done using the squeegee, dry it off with a cloth or a paper towel. This will prevent water spots from forming on the blade.
Step 8: Clean the squeegee blade regularly to maintain its efficiency
Finally, clean the squeegee blade regularly to maintain its efficiency. You can use a mixture of water and vinegar or a cleaning solution to remove any dirt or grime that may have built up on the blade.
Key Takeaways: Just remember to choose the right squeegee for your needs, gather the necessary tools, and follow these steps to use it effectively.
Related Post: How Does a Shower Valve Work?
Tips for Using a Shower Squeegee
- Use the shower squeegee regularly: After each shower, take a minute to wipe down the glass walls and door with the squeegee. This prevents water from sitting and evaporating, leading to unsightly water stains and mildew.
- Use a cleaning solution: You can use a cleaning solution in conjunction with the squeegee for even better results. Mix equal water and white vinegar in a spray bottle on the shower walls and door. Use the squeegee to wipe away the solution and the water droplets for a sparkling clean finish.
- Work in sections: It can be easy to miss spots if you try to squeegee the entire shower at once. Instead, work in sections, starting at the top and working your way down. This ensures you don’t miss any areas and gives you a more thorough cleaning.
- Use a towel to dry off any remaining water: After using the squeegee, there may still be a few small water droplets left on the walls and door. Use a towel to wipe away any remaining moisture and prevent it from evaporating and causing water stains.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Using a Shower Squeegee
Using a shower squeegee is an easy and effective way to clean your bathroom. However, it’s important to remember some common mistakes to avoid when using a squeegee to ensure you get the best results.
- Using a squeegee with a worn-out blade: Over time, the rubber blade of the squeegee can become worn out, making it less effective at wiping away water droplets. Make sure to replace the blade regularly to ensure it works properly.
- Not using the squeegee at the correct angle: To get the best results, you need to use the squeegee at the correct angle. Hold the squeegee at a 45-degree angle and use light pressure to wipe away the water droplets. If you use less pressure, you can leave streaks behind.
- Not drying off the blade after each pass: After each pass of the squeegee, wipe off the blade with a towel to prevent any water droplets from building up on it. This will also help to prevent streaks from forming.
- Not cleaning the squeegee blade regularly: Over time, the squeegee blade can become dirty and clogged with soap scum and other debris. Make sure to clean the blade regularly with soap and water to prevent it from becoming less effective.
- Being careless with sharp corners or edges: It is important to take your time and use a smaller tool when needed in sharp corners or edges, as there is a risk of damaging the surface.
Benefits of Using a Shower Squeegee
A shower squeegee is essential for anyone wanting to keep their bathroom clean and safe. Here are some of the benefits of using a squeegee:
- Quick and Easy Cleaning: Squeegees provide a simple and efficient way to remove water droplets, soap scum, and dirt from the walls and doors of your shower without resorting to more labor-intensive methods such as scrubbing or washing with detergent.
- Prevents Mildew Growth: By quickly removing standing water, your shower will remain dry, which can help prevent mildew growth – leading to cleaner, healthier living conditions.
- Save Money in the Long Run: Regularly using a squeegee on your shower walls means you’ll be able to keep them looking shiny and new for longer, preventing costly replacements due to discoloration or wear.
- Fewer Chemicals Used: As squeegees require little maintenance other than regular cleaning with hot soapy water and wiping down afterwards, there’s no need for harsh chemical cleaners, which can damage tile grout or leave toxins behind in the air when sprayed into enclosed spaces such as showers.
- Reduced Risk of Slip-and-Fall Accidents: Regularly wiping down your shower walls with a handy squeegee can prevent hazardous puddles from forming on the floor, which could lead to slip-and-fall accidents if not taken care of promptly.
Where should I hang my shower squeegee?
You can hang your shower squeegee from the showerhead or outside of the shower, such as on a towel rack or hook. This will keep it within easy reach for regular cleaning.
How often should I use a shower squeegee?
Using a shower squeegee after each shower is recommended to ensure that no residue accumulates between cleanings. This helps keep your bathroom looking clean and fresh and helps prevent mildew from developing due to water residue.
Wiping down flat surfaces with a dry towel after using the squeegee is also a good idea to make sure any remaining moisture is removed.
Can I use a shower squeegee on all types of shower surfaces?
Yes! A shower squeegee can be used on most bathroom surfaces, including tile, glass, or curtains. However, it is always best to check the manufacturer’s instructions to know which kinds of surfaces are safe for cleaning with the tool.
How long do shower squeegees typically last?
The lifespan of a single-use sponge varies depending on the materials and how often you are using it. Generally speaking, well-made sponges can last up to 6 months with proper care and maintenance.
Using a shower squeegee is an effective and economical way to keep your bathroom clean.
It’s easy to use, requires no additional chemicals or scrubbing, and allows you to regularly maintain your bathroom without the time and effort of deep cleaning.
With a shower squeegee, you can enjoy the satisfaction of a sparklingly clean bathroom with minimal effort.